Reporting to the VP of Human Resources, the Director, Benefits, Compensation and HRIS will provide world class service to our employees and retirees by successfully managing our Compensation, Benefits, and HRIS programs for Connecticut Water, Maine Water and any subsidiary companies. As a member of the Human Resources team and Company Leadership, they will also lead and support other Company and Department initiatives.
The Company mission is to deliver life sustaining, high quality water service to the families and communities we serve and demonstrate the core values in fulfilling their job responsibilities: honesty, trust, respect, teamwork, positive attitude and straight talk.
The Human Resources Team supports the Company’s commitment to high levels of employee satisfaction and engagement, high customer satisfaction, caring for the environment and providing a fair return to our shareholders. This role will be expected to contribute to the success in all those areas. This position has one direct report, who performs most HRIS activities and most administrative activities related to benefits. This position will also have the strong support of a collaborative team that includes 4 additional HR professionals.
- Our Company culture requires being responsive to our employees, building trust with them, and being approachable. To be successful, the Director, Benefits, Compensation and HRIS will need to build strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals, and be able to communicate with leadership and front line employees on compensation, benefits and HRIS matters. The Company is highly collaborative and as a Director, this position will be required to actively lead and participate in projects and initiatives to help achieve Company goals.
- Lead all aspects of the employee benefits programs. With the support of the HR Team, develop the overall benefits and compensation strategy, then successfully plan, develop, organize, and implement all elements of our benefits plans to support that. This includes plan design, open enrollment, maintenance, problem resolution, and legal compliance. Our benefits plans include self-funded medical, dental, short and long term disability, life, FSA, HAS, COBRA and 401k. We also offer employee health and wellness programs. The benefits plan will also include some employees and retirees that are eligible non-qualified and qualified pension, and/or retiree medical.
- Manage the design and development of compensation strategy and programs to ensure internal equity, competitive salary levels, and regulatory compliance. Maintain Company pay grades, provide compensation recommendations, and lead, participate or oversee the engagement of a consultant for compensation studies. Work closely with the VP of HR to develop and implement cash and equity based incentive plans as well as other rewards programs for various levels within the company. Prepare compensation documentation and communications to employees, and ensure the clarity and accuracy of communications prepared by the team. For all new hires, promotions or job changes, provide a wage analysis and pay recommendation in a timely manner to support the recruiting process.
- With the support of the HR team, this position will be responsible for all aspects of the HRIS. They will manage directly, or by coordinating with the HR Team, all aspects of employee data from pre-employment to termination. This will include establishing SOPs to ensure employee data is entered and maintained in an effective manner that meets all the business needs. It will require either personally, or through working closely with co-workers to guarantee accuracy and legal compliance. Using the HRIS or other systems, generate reports, data and analysis to support company needs.
- Oversee the timely and accurate communication of payroll changes to Accounting for payroll processing.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement of HR processes and look for opportunities to maintain or improve quality while saving time or effort. The position will be part of the team that determines what systems and technology we engage to work towards efficiency. As such, they will be tasked with thoroughly evaluating options, and communicating risks and benefits to the team, and making recommendations. Once a change is agreed upon they will be responsible for thoroughly learning, training others, and responding to problems to ensure adoption.
- Demonstrate knowledge of SOX compliance and ensure department practices under functional areas are compliant. Participate in audits.
- As part of the HR Team, maintain the company policies and practices. Be available to interpret them to employees. Maintain knowledge of legal and other changes and trends that could affect benefits plans. Work closely with vendors and other resources to make sure the plans remain proactive for all of our populations. Research, compare, recommend and engage vendors, legal counsel and third party administrators as required.
- As part of the HR Leadership, maintain department budget.
- As part of the HR Leadership, actively participate in succession planning by sharing expertise and knowledge.
- Provides assistance with data and analysis for the Company’s annual proxy statement.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.