The AVP, Total Rewards oversees the Compensation, Classification, Benefits, and Retirement for the human resources organization. Responsible for the strategic development, planning and execution of the university’s compensation and benefits programs aligned to the university’s goals. The AVP, Total Rewards reports directly to the VP & Chief Human Resources Officer and plays a leadership role on the Compensation Committee.
Responsible for making recommendations in the areas of compensation, staff selection, disciplinary actions, complaints, staff performance appraisal and similar supervisory duties. Plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of subordinates for effective operation and results of the unit.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include executives, administrators, facility, students and staff of the department and the university at large. External contacts include consultants, representatives from other colleges and universities, visitors and the general public.
- Plans, develops, directs all facets of Howard University’s compensation and benefits programs, while ensuring cost effectiveness.
- Develops competitive total remuneration programs that support the University’s strategic objectives, while ensuring compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Acts as an expert consultant to management in support of compensation programs and provides expert analysis and information for the compensation committee.
- Designs, develops and administers compensation policies, procedures and programs, for unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Oversee all annual processes associated with Total Rewards, including planning and leading annual compensation and performance review cycles, benefits marketing and communications, and open enrollment.
- Provides executive level management and administration of benefits policies, procedures and programs, including pension, thrift and savings, group medical, life, and disability plans, in accordance with state, local and federal guidelines.
- Oversee benefits strategy and design of benefits, including health and welfare, retirement, and wellness programs
- Develops communications for all employee benefits and compensation programs.
- Develops benefit education strategies to advise employees of their coverage and any changes thereto with the overriding objective of assisting them in becoming more effective, cost conscious consumers of their benefits.
- Provides strategic guidance and develops implementation plans that enhance the use of the HRMS system and seeks additional methodologies to increase human resources process automation.
- Oversee vendor selection; monitor and manage selected vendors against service level agreements and effectiveness
- Other duties as assigned.
- Outstanding analytical skills and strong business acumen. Must possess expert proficiency in Power Point and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with senior management
- Significant experience with the design and administration of compensation programs. Knowledge of contemporary techniques of employee compensation. Compensation plan development and administration experience.
- Direct experience and understanding of qualified defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans.
- Experience managing the HRMS unit. PeopleSoft experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of ERISA requirements, FMLA tracking, and workers’ compensation administration.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with union leaders (preferred)
- CEBS Certification or CCP (preferred)
- Experience managing an innovative and strategic compensation and benefits organization.
Master’s degree in a related field plus a minimum ten years of experience as the head of total rewards in a complex environment is required. CEBS or CCP certification and Higher education experience is preferred.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.